EFFECTIVE: JULY 1, 2016Half-Fare Application - Download Here
Thank you for your interest in the FRED Half-Fare Program. This program offers a discounted bus fare to qualified individuals. There are three categories used to determine eligibility:
1.An eligible person is one who meets the Federal Transit Administration’s (FTA is a department of theUnited States Department of Transportation) definition of disabled, which is, “disabled personsmeans any individual who, by reason of illness, injury, age, congenital malfunction, or otherpermanent or temporary disability, are unable, without special facilities or special planning or design,to utilize mass transportation and services as effectively as persons who arenot so affected”; or
Eligibility can either be permanent or temporary.
A. Permanent means any impairment that is expected to last a lifetime that impairs an individual's ability to ride the bus.
B. Temporary means any impairment that is expected to last for a period of at least three months and not more than twelve months.
2.Medicare recipients; or
3.Persons 65 years of age or older. Eligible persons may ride FRED's regular or VRE service for half-fare during ALL hours of operation, effective July 1, 2016. Refer to the Hours of Operation Page.
WHAT IS THE HALF-FARE ID CARD?
•The Half-Fare ID card provides proof of eligibility for riders to use when purchasing discounted bus fares.
•The discounted fare is one-half of FRED's regular service fare.
• Applicants meeting the conditions for eligibility will be issued a photo identification card to be used for reduced fare. The card must be presented at the time of boarding to receive the half-fare discount.
• There is no charge to the applicant for the initial Half-Fare ID card, however if the card is lost or stolen, a replacement card will be issued at a cost of $5.00.
• Your FRED Half-Fare ID card is to be used exclusively by you. Allowing others to use it is prohibited, and will result in the immediate loss of eligibility.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
• Complete the application and be sure to sign page 4,
• Mail or deliver your completed application to 1400 Jefferson Davis Highway, Fredericksburg, VA, 22401, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
• Upon review and approval of your application, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment to have your photograph taken and receive your Half-Fare ID card.
Any questions or concerns regarding the Half-Fare Program, please contact Mr. Craig Reed, Manager Policy, Planning & Compliance, at email@example.com or call (540) 372-1222 ext. 709.
Half-Fare Application - Download Here